Castillo Ampudia - Collection C. Kleiss
       She was built on 1912 at Rotterdam as Charon. Being the Russian Katayama was seized on October 1938 by the mine layer Vulcano due she was transporting war equipment as contraband. She was put under control of Gestora de Buques Mercantes Incautados and renamed Castillo Ampudia. On 1942 she was transfered to Empresa Nacional Elcano when this was created. On 1960 she was bought by Naviera Morey and renamed Ampuries, being scrapped in Italy on 1967.
       On this photo she was at El Musel - Gijón, showing her port side. behind her was, at the other side of the pier, was the Ria de Vigo, owned previously by Elcano and that at that time was already owned by Naviera Morey, whose funnel colours showed. The leaving vessel was Escolano or Romeu. On the left bottom was Cabo Silleiro.
Shipyard/Year Worf Voorh Rijkee / 1912
Dead Weight 5,400 MT
Gross register 3,209 MT
Length 105.6 mtr
Breadth 14.8 mtr
Depth 6.7 mtr
Propulsion Alternative triple expansion
Power 1,600 H.P.
Sold 1960 to
Owner Naviera Morey
Scrapped 1967



  Spanish version 



Back to Castillo Almansa  Back to Index  Go to Castillo Daroca

AM © 2016