Drago - Collection C. Kleiss
        She was built as passenger vessel with capacity for 1,216 passengers, with the name H. H. Meier. She was bought by Trasatlántica on 1902 and renamed Manuel Calvo. On 29/March/1919 she collided with a mine at Dardanelos Strait, when transporting Turkish refugees from Barcelona to Estambul. She managed to arrive to port and was repaired, but 105 persons were killed. On 1939 she was converted to cargo ship. She was sold on 1952 to Sociedad Comercial Transoceánica Hispana and renamed Drago, being scrapped on 1963.
        This photo shows her at Santander downtown, berthed to Grúa de Piedra pier, nowadays the Port of Santander symbol.
Shipyard / Year Armstrong, Mitchell & Co. / 1892
Dead Weight 6,900 MT
GRT 5,617
Length 132.9 mtr
Breadth 14.6 mtr
Depth 8.7 mtr
Propulsion 2 x Alternative triple expansion
Power 2 x 2,538 H.P.
Bought 1952 to
Owner Cía. Trasatlántica Española
Scrapped 1963




  Spanish version 



Back to Domine  Back to Index  Go to El Carmen

AM © 2016