Duero - Collection C. Kleiss
At Bristol, yet with open bridge.
        She was built in the United Kingdom as Monassir, being later Switzerland. On 1928 she was bought by Naviera Pinillos and renamed Duero.
        At the beginning of the Civil War she was under republican control, sailing with the camouflaged name of Urbi. At the end of the war she was recovered by her shipowners. On 1943 she struck an underwater mine at the Strait of Gibraltar, but in spite of serious damage she was towed by a Portuguese ship until being beached close to Tangier. Once the water ingresses were plugged she was refloated and towed by the Tormes to Cadiz, where she was repaired. Unfortunately she sank at the same area on 26/July/1953 due to the collision with a British tanker, fortunately without casualties.
Shipyard / Year Caledon - Dundee / 1920
Dead Weight 1,480 MT
GRT 1,420
Length 82.5 mtr
Breadth 11.6 mtr
Depth 7.3 mtr
Propulsion Alternative triple expansion
Power 900 H.P.
Bought 1928 to
Owner Leith, Hull & Hamburg Sp. Co.
Sunk 1953




  Spanish version 



Back to Drago  Back to Index  Go to El Carmen

AM © 2017