A. Lazaro - Collection C. Kleiss
On this photo at Valencia can be seen one of the three sister ships, but not known which.
        The A. Lazaro was built in 1896 in Italy for Navigazione Generale Italiane as Cristoforo Colombo, together with two sister ships named Galileo Galilei and Marco Polo. The three were acquired in 1910 by the Compañía Valenciana de Vapores Correos de Africa, receiving respectively the names of A. Lazaro, J.J. Sister and V. Puchol.
        When Trasmediterránea was created they were integrated into it covering different lines, but for a large part of their lives they sailed on the Málaga-Melilla line, to which they were already intended since their acquisition by the Compañía Valenciana de Vapores Correos de Africa.
        Between 1924 and 1928 they were transformed to motorvessels, installing two MAN engines of 3,700 H.P., with which they achieved a great economy and improved operation, at the expense of a speed reduction that was after that about 16 knots. The first to be transformed was the J.J. Sister, at Amsterdam in 1924. The V. Puchol was transformed in 1926 and the A. Lazaro in 1928, both by Nuevo Vulcano in Barcelona. Originally they had two alternative triple expansion machines with which they reached about 18 knots.
        They were scrapped between 1963 and 1964.
Shipyard / Year N. Odero (Italy) / 1896
Dead weight 1,005 MT
Gross register 1,514 GRT
Passengers 300
Length 86.4 mtr
Breadth 11.6 mtr
Depth 6.9 mtr
Propulsion 2 x Alt. triple expansion
Power 4.000 H.P.
Speed 18 knots
New propulsion 2 x Engine MAN / 1927
Power 3.600 H.P.
Speed 16 knots
Integrated 1917
Scrapped 1963

A. Lazaro - Collection C. Kleiss
One of the three sisters berthed at Melilla



  Spanish version 



Back to Andres Rial  Back to Index  Go to Araitz-Mendi

AM © 2018