Arrazua - Collection C. Kleiss
Arrriving to Pasajes
        She was built at Sestao in 1959 by the Sociedad Española de Construcción Naval as Juan Tomas de Gandarias for Altos Hornos de Vizcaya. She was a bulk carrier destined to transport coal and ore to its factory.
        When the Naviera Vizcaína bought hier in 1957, she became an asphalt tanker and renamed her Arrazua. In 1975 she was sold to a foreign shipping company and renamed Master Michael with Liberian flag. In 1977 she was sold again and flagged in Cyprus.
        On 01/January/1979 she suffered an explosion while sailing with a shipment of diesel from Caracas Bay (Curaçao) to Haiti. She was abandoned by 30 of her crew who disappeared. Five remained on board, of which four managed to swim out to the bulk carrier Ilice, which approached upon hearing the SOS. The ship sank the next day.
Shipyard / Year S.E.C.N. - Sestao / 1959
Owner Altos Hornos de Vizcaya
Name Juan Tomas de Gandarias
Dead weight 5,735 MT
Gross register 3,853 GRT
Length 113.1 mtr
Breadth 16.4 mtr
Depth 7.7 mtr
Propulsion Naval-Burmeister & Wain 562-VTF-115
Power 3,000 H.P.
Bought 1967 to
Owner Altos Hornos de Vizcaya
Name Juan Tomas de Gandarias
Sold 1975 to
Owner Banner Enterprises Corporation
Name Master Michael
Sunk 02/01/1979 -- 15º10'N - 72º15'W



  Spanish version 



Back to Araitz-Mendi  Back to Index  Go to Artiba-Mendi

AM © 2021