Buenos Aires - Collection C. Kleiss
        On this photo she was at Barcelona, on the background to the left. She had the Trasatlántica house flag in the forward mast. In first line was the Sardinero, , owned by Compañía Vasco Cantábrica de Navegación. Thanks to Javier Careaga has been identified the Dedalo, first plane carrier of the Spanish Navy, that was on the photo upper right side and had by her starboard several ships tied alongside each other. The rest are unidentified.
        She was built on 1887 at Dumbarton by William Denny & Bros. She was launched as Jelunga and bought during building by Trasatlántica. She had capacity for 843 passengers (83 in First Class, 30 in Second and 730 in the orlop decks). The propulsion was by one quadruple expansión machine with 4,900 HP.
        As per her name she was assigned to the Argentina line, with intermediate calls in Brasil and Montevideo, although later steamed in other lines. She was scrapped on 1940, after several years laid up at Mahón due to her bad condition.
Shipyard / Year William Denny & Bros / 1887
Dead weight 5,440 MT
Gross register 5,311 GRT
Passengers 843
Lenght 125.1 mtr
Breadth 14.7 mtr
Depth 6.5 mtr
Propulsion Reciprocating quadruple expansion
Power 4,900 H.P.
Scrapped 1940

Buenos Aires - Collection C. Kleiss
        She was the first in the vessels group. The second was her sister ship Montevideo. The following teo were also owned by Trasatlántica, the Manuel Calvo and the Antonio Lopez. The fith, smaller, was the Generalife of Trasmediterránea. The sixth, yet smaller, is not identified. After the group and the boats was the Rey Jaime II.
Buenos Aires - Collection C. Kleiss
Passing the Panama Canal bound to the Caribbean Sea, although the identification is not completely sure.



  Spanish version 



Back to Bostak-Bat  Go to Index  Go to Buenos Aires

AM © 2016-2021