Funnel by Aingeru Astui

Flag by Aingeru Astui                  Flag by Aingeru Astui

Compañía Trasatlántica Española

Trasatlántica advertisement - Collection L. Santa Olaya
El Heraldo Militar - 11/June/1917

Ciudad de Cadiz
Ciudad de Cadiz - Collection T. Diedrich
        She was built by Lobnitz, Coulborn & Co. at Renfrew (Scotland) in 1878 and was 3,283 GRT with 110.8 meters length and 11.6 beam. She had a single propeller moved by a triple expansion steam machine, what gave her 13 knots. The original propulsion machine was compound, but it was changed in 1892 to a triple expansion one. As it was usual the passengers travelled in three classes, 163 in First, 54 in Second and 200 in Third.
        She was delivered to Antonio López y Compañía, because Trasatlántica was not yet created, passing to it as soon as formed. She started trading in the lines to Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico, but later was in the line to Spanish Guinea. She sunk there on 10/October/1924 when steaming from San Carlos to Santa Isabel, nowadays Luba and Malabo. Luckily without casualties.
        During the 1898 war between Spain and the United States she was armed as auxiliary cruiser, and integrated in the fleet that was in Cuba.
Ciudad de Cadiz - Collection M. Budiño
Made fast to the buoy of Matagorda shipyard of Sociedad Española de Construcción Naval
Shipyard / Year Lobnitz Coulborn / 1879
Dead weight 5,905 MT
Gross register 3,283 GRT
Pasajeros 417 = 163 (1) + 54 (2) + 200 (3)
Length 110.8 mtr
Breadth 11.6 mtr
Depth 7.4 mtr
Propulsion Reciprocating triple expansion
Power 3,350 H.P.
Sunk 1924

Ciudad de Cadiz - Collection C. Kleiss
At Santa Isabel (Spanish Guinea), nowadays Malabo (Equatorial Guinea).

Colon - Naval Historical Center
        She was built by Bowdler, Chaffer and Company in Liverpool (United Kingdom) in 1887 as Arawa. She had 5,044 DWT, with 120.0 meters length; 12.6 beam and 7.8 depth.
        She had a single propeller moved by a triple expansion steam machine with 1,986 H.P. She was bought in 1895 for helping in the transport of soldiers and supplies to Cuba. When the war finished she was returned to her previous owners, as agreed on the sale and purchase contract. After changing several times owner and name was torpedoed in 1915, when named Porto Said.

Antonia by R. Sampol Isern

Shipyard / Year J.Blumer & Co. / 1874
Name Blyth
Owner / Year Luis Calisalvo / 1885
Name Ardanaz
Dead weight 1,177 MT
Gross register 786 GRT
Lenght 61.1 mtr
Breadth 8.6 mtr
Depth 5.4 mtr
Propulsion Alternativa compound
Power 390 C.V.
Bought 1891 to
Owner Luis Calisalvo
Name Ardanaz
Sold 1897 to
Owner / Year Casaseca y Terre
Name Ardanaz
Owner / Year Eduardo Aznar Tutor / 1898
Name Olaveaga
Owner / Year Cía. Vasco Cantábrica de Nav. / 1899
Name Olaveaga
Owner / Year Cía. Naviera La Blanca / 1901
Name Gomecha
Owner / Year Guillermo Goñalons / 1907
Name Antonia
Owner / Year Ferrer Peset Hnos. / 1916
Name Antonia
Owner / Year Cía. Trasmediterránea / 1917
Name Antonia
Scrapped Mahón - 1928
        Built in 1874 as Blyth, in 1885 was bought and registered in Spain by Luis Calisalvo, who renamed her as Ardanaz. Trasatlántica bought her in 1891 and sold her in 1897 to Casaseca y Terre. In 1898 was bought by Eduardo Aznar Tutor, and transferred in 1899 to Compañía Vasco Cantábrica de Navegación and named Olaveaga, but only three years later she was sold to Compañía Naviera La Blanca, and renamed Gomecha. in 1905 was bought by Guillermo Goñalons, who renamed her as Antonia, that was her name until scrapped in 1928. Before she was sold to Ferrer Peset in 1914, being transfered in 1917 to Trasmediterránea.

Covadonga - Naval Historical Center
        She was built by Richard Duncan and Co. at Greenock (United Kingdom) in 1886 as Tainui. Her dead weight was 5.186 MT; with 120.1 meters length; 12.7 beam and 7.9 depth. Her propulsion was by a triple expansion steam machine with 2.000 H.P.
        She was bought in 1896 and later converted in troops transport. After the was she wasrepatriating the army, and later returned to her previous owners. what was also agreed on the sale and purchase contract.
        She was also included in the Escuadra de Cámara. This photo shows her at Port Said on June 1898.

Alicante - Naval Historical Center
        She was built by William Denny en Dumbarton (United Kingdom) in 1889 as Pegu. She had 4,775 DWT, with 113.4 meters length; 13.7 beam and 8.1 depth; and capacity for 623 passengers (42 in first class, 20 in second and 561 in the holds). For propulsion she had a quadruple expansion steam machine with 3,000 H.P.
        She was bought in 1896 for helping in the transport of soldiers and supplies to Cuba, being converted later in hospital ship, and when the war finished was used for the repatriation of the Spanish troops. After that she returned to the commercial trades, but in 1921 she was again used as hospital ship during the North-Africa conflict.
        In 1930 she was laid up at Barcelona due to her poor condition, being used since then as coal pontoon for ships bunkering. During the Civil War she was sunk by bombing from planes, being refloated and scrapped after the war.
        This photo was shot in Cuba in 1898 by a USA Navy cadet.

Antonio Lopez
Antonio Lopez
She was laid up at Mahón since the middle 30's, with more company vessels, being finally scrapped in 1945.
Shipyard / Year W. Denny & Bros. / 1891
Name Ruahine
Dead weight 6,100 MT
Gross register 6,127 GRT
Lenght 131.1 mtr
Breadth 15.3 mtr
Length 9.6 mtr
Propulsion Reciprocating quadruple expansion
Power 4,400 H.P.
Speed 13.5 knots
Bought 1900 to
Owner New Zealand Shipping Co. Ltd.
Name Ruahine
Scrapped Bilbao - 1945

Manuel Calvo
Manuel Calvo by F. Estrañi Sr.
        In this photo we see in front of the ship the Puertochico dock, at Santander
        This is a remarkable ship because of her long life. Built for MacIver & Co. in 1892 as Lucania by Armstrong, Mitchell & Co. of Walker-on-Tyne was 5,140 GRT, with a length of 132.9 meters and a beam of 14.6. She had accommodation for 75 passangers in First Class, 300 in Second and 1,000 in Third.
        She was bought by North German Lloyd in 1892 and renamed H.H.Meier. In 1901 she was sold to Trasatlantica, renamed Manuel Calvo and rebuilt. She was put on the Genoa - Barcelona - Cadiz - New York - Havana - Veracruz service.
Manuel Calvo - Collection of C. McHale

Manuel Calvo - Collection M. Budiño
On 29/March/1919 she struck a mine off the Turkish coast while repatriating foreigners with the loss of 151 lives. Part of the damages can be seen here.
Manuel Calvo
She made her last voyage Barcelona - Cadiz - New York - Havana in 1931 and was then laid up in Minorca until 1939, when she sailed to Cadiz where she was rebuilt as a cargo vessel.
Drago - Collection C. Kleiss
        In 1950 she was laid up at Santander until 1952 when was sold and renamed Drago. She continued under the Spanish flag until scrapped in 1959 in Spain. This photo shows her already as Drago at Santander, carrying out loading/unloading operations berthed at Grúa de Piedra pier.

Claudio Lopez y Lopez
Claudio Lopez y Lopez
        She was built by Barclay, Curle and Company in Glasgow (Reino Unido) in 1891 as Lismore Castle. She had 5,250 DWT, with 120.7 meters length, 13.2 beam and 8.6 depth.
        She had a triple expansion steam machine with 3,025 H.P. She was built in 1904, when named Westmount. She steamed for some time in the Philippines line and later in América lines, until being scrapped in 1930.

Legazpi - Collection T. Diedrich
        Built in 1904 as Zungeru for Elder Dempster Line, was 4,350 GRT. In 1906 was transferred to Cie. Maritime Belge du Congo and renamed Bruxellesville, but in 1909 reverted to Elder Dempster Line and recovered her first name.
        In 1911 was sold to Trasatlantica and renamed Legazpi. Due to the cancellation of the lines to Philippines and Guinea was sold in 1931 to Trasmediterránea for the Guinea line.
        In 19 May 1937 was attacked by planes and sank close to Benicarló. After the war she was refloated and scrapped.

Isla de Cuba Leon XIII
Leon XIII - Collection P. Caminha
        The Taroba and Tara were sister ships built in 1888 and 1890 at Glasgow by A & J. Inglis. Their length was 123.4 meters, the beam 13.9 and the depth 8.9, and her draft 7.75. Both were in the line of the Queensland Royal Mail under the ownership of British India Associated Steamers, Ltd. Altough sisters they had small differences, maybe increased due to the two years between their delivery, with six vessels in between. The Taroba was 4,938 GRT, 4,234 NRT, 5,460 Dw and her steam triple expansion machine had 4,500 HP gave her 15.5 knots in trials. Her bunkers had capacity for 1,633 MT with a daily consumption of 82.
Leon XIII - Collection P. Piccardo
        In 1894 was sold to Trasatlantica, renamed Isla de Cuba and put in the line to Philipines. In 1896 was renamed Leon XIII and destined to the transport of troops to Cuba. After returned to the Philipines line took part in the repatriation of troops and in 1901 was refitted and put in the line to Buenos Aires, with seldom trips to the South America West Coast.
Leon XIII - Collection P. Piccardo
She was scrapped in 1931 in Italy, where can be seen in the process
Leon XIII - Colección de L. Santa Olaya
Detention by a German submarine, published by El Noroeste on 11/June/1917.

P. de Satrustegui
P. de Satrustegui - Collection P. Caminha
        The Tara was built for the same line as her sister. She was 4,713 GRT, 3,013 NRT and 5,410 DW, with a triple expansion machine of 4,724 HP got 15.35 knots in trials.
        When bought by Trasatlantica in 1894 was renamed P. de Satrustegui and put in the line to Philipines. After taking part in the troop transport was refitted and put in the line to Buenos Aires until scrapped in 1928 at Genoa (Italy).
P. de Satrustegui - Collection A. Mantilla

Leon XIII Santiago
Jelunga - Collection P. Caminha
        There was other Leon XIII but only for few months earlier than the previous. She was not owned by Trasatlantica, but charterer for some time in 1894, when was renamed Leon XIII . She was the Jelunga of the British India Associated Steamers. In 1896 was chartered again for some time, being returned to her owners in 1899. But this time was renamed as Santiago because there was already a Leon XIII in the fleet.
        She was built in 1890 and sold in 1908, and broken up in1923. Whilst owned by the British India Associated Steamers was always named Jelunga except when chartered to Trasatlantica.

Fernando Poo
Fernando Poo - Collection C. Kleiss

Shipyard / Year Sir Raylton Dixon & Co. / 1898
Dead weight 4,824 MT
GRT 3,760
Length 106.7 mtr
Breadth 13.8 mtr
Depth 7.7 mtr
Propulsion Reciprocating triple expansion
Power 2.911 H.P.
Speed 13 knots
Bought 1910 to
Owner Royal Mail Steamship
Wrecked 1916

Fernando Poo - Collection C. Kleiss
        On this photo at Santander she was the first on the left. The name was clearly visible on the side, to be identified as neutral during the First World War, so the photo was in the second half of 1914 or early 1915 because the ship berthed by her bow was the first Alfonso XIII, which sank on 05/February/1915.
        She was built in 1898 by Sir Raylton Dixon and Company Shipyards for the Royal Mail Steamship Packet Company as Severn. She was bought by Trasatlántica in 1910 and renamed Fernando Poo as she was intended for the line of Spanish Guinea, but she was soon dedicated to the Philippines one. In one of the outward trips she grounded on 23/June/1916 on one of the Philippine Islands of the Sulu Sea, when she was already close to her destination. She was lost fortunately without victims.

Infanta Isabel de Borbon
Infanta Isabel de Borbon - Collection M. Rodriguez Barrientos, shot by his father Juan Manuel Rodriguez Vizcaíno
This photo was shot at Cádiz on 6 October 1924
Infanta Isabel de Borbon - Collection M. Budiño
Nice view at Matagorda, in the Sociedad Española de Construcción Naval drydock, observing the small size of the Bridge.
Infanta Isabel de Borbon - Collection L. Santa Olaya
La Vanguardia - 29/May/1917
Uruguay - Collection P. Caminha
        She was built by William Denny & Bros. at Dumbarton (Scotland) in 1913 and was 10,348 GRT with 145 meters length, 18.4 beam and 10.8 depth. Her passenger capacity was 250 in First, 100 in Second and 75 in Third.
        Her original name was Infanta Isabel de Borbón until the arrival of the Republic when she was renamed Uruguay.
        She had three propellers moved by two triple expansión steam machines and one low pressure steam turbine, which gave her 18.64 knots in trials. After servicing the America lines was confiscated in 1934 by the government and laid up at Barcelona to be used as jail. She was sunk in 1939 due to the plane bombardment during the Civil War and refloated in 1942 to be scrapped at Valencia.

Reina Victoria Eugenia
Argentina - Collection P. Caminha
        Although sister of the previous she was built (also in 1913) by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson at Wallsend-on-Tyne (England).
        Her original name was Reina Victoria Eugenia which was changed to Argentina when the Republic was proclaimed.
        The big differences were that she had four propellers moved by two quadruple expansion steam machines and two low pressure turbines.
        She had the same end as her sister and was refloated and scrapped in 1945 at Bilbao.
Reina Victoria Eugenia - Collection M. Budiño
With the Spanish Merchant Marine flag painted on the side during WWI, showing the neutrality.

Santa Isabel
Santa Isabel - Collection M. Budiño

Shipyard / Year S.E.C.N. / Matagorda / 1916
Dead weight 2,050
Gross register 2,492
Length 85.9 mtr
Breadth 12.2 mtr
Depth 8.4 mtr
Propulsion Steam turbines
Power 1,350 H.P.
Speed 14 knots
Sunk 1921
Casualties 321 persons

Santa Isabel - Collection A. Paniagua

San Carlos
San Carlos - Collection M. Budiño

Shipyard / Year S.E.C.N. / Matagorda / 1917
Dead weight 2,050
Gross register 2,492
Length 85.9 mtr
Breadth 12.2 mtr
Depth 8.4 mtr
Propulsion Steam turbines
Power 1,350 H.P.
Speed 14 knots
Sold 1928

San Carlos - Collection M. Budiño
At shipyard, finishing afloat the building.
Drawing Santa Isabel-San Carlos - Collection M. Budiño

Manuel Arnus
Manuel Arnus - Collection A. Mantilla
        Built in 1923 at Matagorda (Cádiz), by the Sociedad Española de Construcción Naval. She was 7,538 GRT, with length of 137.7 meters and 17.1 beam.
        She serviced several of the Trasatlántica lines, to Chile, Cuba, Mexico and United States. In 1941 she was confiscated by the Mexican gouvernment and later sold to the United States. From 25/October/1936 to 27/March/1938 she was detained at Havana. From then at Veracruz.
Manuel Arnus - Vida Marítima
She was sunk in 1946 during a bombardment practice in the Pacific.
Shipyard / Year S.E.C.N. Matagorda / 1923
Dead weight 6,570 MT
GRT 7,538
NRT 4,402
Length 137.7 mtr
Breadth 17.1 mtr
Depth 9.8 mtr
Propulsion 2 x Steam turbines Parsons
Power 6,500 H.P.
Confiscated 1941 by Mexico
Sunk 1946

Manuel Arnus - Collection T. Diedrich
        From 1926 she was used as cruise vessel from the United States to Spain, that included visits to several Spanish towns, as Madrid, Toledo, El Escorial, Granada and Córdoba. The passengers usually left the vessel at Sevilla, joining het again there. During that time the hull was painted white, and the funnel with the Spanish flag, that later was modified joining the two red stripes, resulting a funnel similar to the used by Trasmediterránea. On those years the Reina Maria Cristina was also used in same way.
Manuel Arnus - Collection J. Cifré Sánchez

  Spanish version 

Back to Trasatlántica (1)  Back to Index  Go to Trasatlántica (3)

AM © 2002-2022