Turia - Collection C. Kleiss
At Niza
          She was built on 1931 by Euskalduna, retaining her original name of Turia until being scrapped despite changing shipowner.
          During the Civil War she was on the Republican side, being at its service making trips both by the Mediterranean and by the Cantábrico until she was returned to her shipowners on January 1939. On 1964 she was sold to Suc. Vda. de Enrique Illueca, being transformed and changing completely her look, although it did not change name. She was scrapped on 1978.
          On 16/February/1941 she was the first of the chain of ships that passed the notice that Santander was suffering a big fire that devastated much of the city. The land communications were completely cut. The Turia, that was berthed, began to transmit the distress call. The message was listened by Monte Ayala, that began to relay it being listened by the Cristina, which relayed it again. Finally the message was heard at La Coruña, from where all Spain was warned.
Shipyard / Year Euskalduna / 1931
Dead Weight 2,190 MT
Gross register 2,610 GRT
Length 93.3 mtr
Breadth 12.7 mtr
Depth 7.0 mtr
Propulsion Diesel engine Sulzer
Power 1,720 H.P.
Sold 1964 to
Owner Suc. Vda. de Enrique Illueca
Scrapped 1971



  Spanish version 



Back to Tormes  Back to Index  Go to Upo-Mendi

AM © 2017