Old Coasters













Airoso Ricardo
Airoso Ricardo - Collection C. Kleiss
I don't have any data about this small coaster, berthed at La Coruña. Behind her was the Upo-Mendi and on the background to the left the Alfonso XIII
Airoso Ricardo - Collection C. Kleiss



Alberto
Alberto by T. Diedrich

     This vessel was owned by Sociedad Española de Carburos and her home port was Barcelona with the number 196, her call sign was EAHY.
     She was built by J.P. Rennoldson de South Shields (R.Tyne) on 1912 as Wearsider, and on 1914 was renamed as Alberto, when was bought by S.A. de Transports Maritimes. Later was owned by Sociedad Española de Carburos.
     With 53.4 meters length, 8.54 beam and 4.02 depth was 593 GRT, 352 NRT, 1,261 MT displacement and 720 cargo.
     Her triple expansion steam machine had 709 HP giving her 12 knots. The daily consumption was 12 MT of coal and the bunker capacity was 100 MT.
     On 1976 was yet in the Lloyds Register.



Flag supplied by Aingeru Astui

Anselmi
Anselmi by T. Diedrich

     She was built by Scott & Sons of Bowling (River Clyde) on 1900 as Machrie, later was Margarita and finally Anselmi, when her owner was Ramon de Otalde, of Tenerife. Later was bought by Naviera A. Alvarez, of Gijón. Her nome port was Aviles with the number 42 and her call sign was EEXS.
     With 41.43 meters length, 6.55 beam and 4.21 depth was 381 GRT, 208 NRT, 833 MT displacement and 510 cargo.
     Her Compound steam machine got 185 HP and had one cilynder with 375 mm bore and other with 745 mm, with 499 mm stroke. The speed was 9 knots. The daily consumption was 6 MT of coal and the bunker capacity was 35 MT.



Flag supplied by Aingeru Astui

Arnao
Arnao by T. Diedrich

     Built in Glasgow on 1873 by Cunliffe & Dunlop, was yet sailing on 1966.
     Her length was 35.3 meters, the beam 5.5 and the depth 3.35, with 221 GRT, 81 NRT, 389 MT displacement and 223 MT cargo.
     Her Compound steam machine got 150 HP and had one cilynder with 432 mm bore and other with 752 mm, with 508 mm stroke. The speed was 9 knots. The daily consumption was 5 MT of coal and the bunker capacity was 20 MT.
     On her last years was owned by Carbones La Nueva, S.A., of Santander. Her nome port was Santander with the number 73 and her call sign was EEAM.


Collection L. Santa Olaya
The upper was at an unidentified port and the lower at Avilés
Collection L. Santa Olaya



Amador
Amador - Photo supplied by José Luis Herrería

     The owner was Amador Varela Hevia, her home port was Gijón with the number 127 and her call sign EALZ. She was built at Gijón on 1932 by Astilleros del Cantábrico.
     Her length was 34.77 meters, her breadth 6.62 and the depth 2.99, with 256 GRT, 125 NRT, displacement 460 MT and cargo 237 MT.
     Her Triple Expansion Machine of 120 HP had three cilinders with diameters of 216 mm, 333 and 568 mm, and the stroke was 410 mm. Her speed was 7 knots. The daily consumption was 6 MT and the bunker capacity 30 MT.
     This photo was shot at Santoña (Cantabria). After her is Rosi Trini, that although seems older was much younger because was built on 1954 at Lequeitio (Vizcaya) by Pedro Sarria, with wooden hull. Her owner was H. Urrosolo Zárraga, and her home port Bilbao with the number 616.
     She was smaller, with a length of 26.3 meters, her breadth 7.3 and her depth 2.65, with 149 GRT, 56 NRT, displacement 380 MT and cargo 200 MT.
     Her propulsion was also by a Triple Expansion Machine of 75 HP, giving her around 7 knots. The daily consumption was 2 MT of coal and the bunker capacity was 25 MT.



Flag supplied by Aingeru Astui

Manuela E
Manuela E - Collection F. García Echegoyen

          She was built on 1887. Her length was 45.6 meters; her breadth 8.3 and her depth 3.75; with 532 GRT and 826 MT DW. Her propulsion was by an Alternative Steam Machine Commpound with 300 H.P. burning coal in her boiler.
     She was French built and owned, with the name San Caledonio. On 1918 was purchased by Antonio de Bereincua y Cía and renamed Danielito. On 1920 was sold to Matías Mallol Bosch, who renamed her Ciutat de Reus and on 1930 was bought by Adolfo Ramírez Escudero, being renamed as Manuela E. She sunk on 1936.



Bandera suministrada por Aingeru Astui                    Chimenea suministrada por Aingeru Astui

San Emeterio
San Emeterio by T. Diedrich

          She was built on 1887 in France as hopper for the Junta de Obras del Puerto de Santander. Her length was 45.6 meters; her breadth 8.1 and her depth 4.0; with 568 GRT and 620 MT DW. Her propulsion was by an triple expansion steam machine of 346 H.P.
          She was bought by Nueva Montaña del Hierro y del Acero on March 1942 and converted to cargo ship, what took more than one year until October 1943.
          Due to her age she suffered some accidents, in one of them she sunk on April 1948 whilst berthed to the company pier due to a main condenser pipe breakage. She was refloated almost two months later, on June 1948. One year later the tailshaft was broken when arriving to San Esteban de Pravia, being towed to Santander by the Rio Miera, owned by the same company. This vessel sunk two years later close to Cabo Mayor due to a collision with the Mogador.
          The San Emeterio was steaming many years more because she was not scrapped until 1973, after linked to Santander maritime history for almost 100 years.
Foto de L. Santa Olaya
Her anchor was preserved and is in the Museo de Anclas, at Salinas (Asturias)



  Spanish version 



Back to Old steamers  Back to Index  Go to Astillero de San Martín

AM © 2002-2016