Virgen de Africa - Collection C. Kleiss
The first by the left is not identified, the second was the minesweeper Ter, the third the Virgen de Africa and the fourth the Ciudad de Tarifa.
        She was built by Unión Naval de Levante for Empresa Nacional Elcano as the second Tipe H vessel, being the first the Victoria. They were the first ferries built in Spain, designed for the Gibraltar Strait traffic. They had space for 100 cars and alternatively for 12 railroad cars.
        After her building she was chartered two years by Trasmediterránea, that bought both them on 1955. She was sold on 1986 to Agrupaciones e Inversiones and renamed Africa. This company bought her for converting her in casino and night club, but she was laid up until scrapped on 1989.
Shipyard / Year U.N. de Levante / 1953
Dead Weight 1,195 MT
Gross Register 3,392 GRT
Passengers 900 = 22 (1st) - 16 (2nd) - 862
Length 103.6 mtr
Breadth 16.6 mtr
Depth 7.3 mtr
Propulsion 2 engines B&W 750-VF-90
Power 5,300 H.P.
Bought 1955 to
Owner Empresa Nacional Elcano
Sold 1986 to
Owner Agrupaciones e Inversiones
Scrapped 1989



  Spanish version 



Back to Villarramiel  Back to Index  Go to Vivero

AM © 2016