Funnel supplied by Aingeru Astui

Flag supplied by Aingeru Astui


Francisco García Fernández, S.A.





Some of the first seven vessels changed their name after bought, and all them on 1916, as per next table:
Name before Name after bought Name on 1916
   Ugarte Nº1    Maria Clotilde    Clotilde Garcia
   Luis    Maria Magdalena    Magdalena Garcia
   Maria del Carmen    Maria del Carmen    Villa de Pesquera
   Maria Gertrudis    Maria Gertrudis    Eduardo Garcia
   Chio    Maria Cruz    Toñin Garcia
   Fomento    Maria Mercedes    Agustina Garcia
   Progreso    Maria Pilar    Lost on 1915



Magdalena Garcia
Maria Magdalena
Angeles por T. Diedrich
        Before being called Magdalena Garcia from her purchase until 1916 her name was Maria Magdalena. She was bought on 1900 to Luis Castellano, when her name was Luis, having named before Bayones, Mariana and Ugarte. Comparing this and the next photo, when she was already Paco Garcia, can be seen the great difference of silhouette between ballast and loaded conditions due to her small size.
Angeles by T. Diedrich
        When integrated on 1922 in Vapores Costeros she received first the name Magdalena. Later was renamed Paco Garcia. On 1960 her steam alternative machine was removed, and a diesel engine installed. On 1971 she was bouhgt by Naviera Álvarez, but only three years later she was scrapped.
Magdalena por T. Diedrich
        Here is yet as Magdalena berthed at Santander downtown. In the background was the gas station that nowadays has been reconverted in a snack bar, due to the construction of the Centro Botín.
Shipyard / Year W.B. Thompson / 1876
Dead Weight 245 MT
Gross Register 176 GRT
Length 36.7 mtr
Breadth 6.3 mtr
Depth 2.8 mtr
Propulsion Alternative compound
Power 156 H.P.
Bought 1904 to
Owner Luis Castillo
Sold 1922 to
Owner Vapores Costeros
Scrapped 1974

Maria Magdalena - Collection Juanmari Rekalde
At the Muelle de Fomento at Gijón, alongside a steamer. Both with open bridge.
Maria Magdalena - Collection Juanmari Rekalde

Maria Magdalena - Collection C. Kleiss
At Bilbao also as Maria Magdalena



The crisscrossed storiess of the above and below ships are difficult to follow because their owners exchanged them, exchanging their names at the time, for that reason I have summarized them in the following table:
Year Name Owner Name Owner
Before 1878   Ugarte   Ugarte Hermanos   Mariana   Enrique Tejeiro
1878 - Exchange   Mariana   Enrique Tejeiro   Ugarte Nº1   Ugarte Hermanos
1882   Bayones   José Pedrós   Ugarte Nº1   Ugarte Hermanos
1899   Luis   Luis Castillo   Ugarte Nº1   Ugarte Hermanos
1900   Maria Magdalena   Francisco García   Treto   Francisco García
1900   Maria Magdalena   Francisco García   Maria Clotilde   Francisco García



Clotilde García
Maria Clotilde
Maria Clotilde - Collection P. Blanco Álvarez
When she was bought was renamed Maria Clotilde, the name she was wearing in this photo. At Santander, alongside other ship of the company, can be seen her small size.
Maria Clotilde - Collection P. Blanco Álvarez

Shipyard / Year Cox and Co. / 1887
Dead Weight 125 MT
Gross Register 69 GRT
Length 29.3 mtr
Breadth 5.0 mtr
Depth 2.5 mtr
Propulsion Alternative compound
Power 100 H.P.
Bought 1903 to
Owner Celestino García
Sold 1922 to
Owner Vapores Costeros
Scrapped 1957

Conchita
When on 1922 she was incorporated to Vapores Costeros her name changed to Conchita.



Agustina Garcia
Maria Mercedes
Ampurdan by T. Diedrich
       She was bought on 1904 to Teodoro H. Maruri, under whose ownership she was named Fomento, and renamed Maria Mercedes, name that changed on 1916 to Agustina Garcia. She was sold on 1917 to Jose Bonet and Tomás Mallol, being renamed La Sabinosa and later Ampurdanes. On 1922 she was sold to E. Freixas and named Freixas 3º, passing on 1924 to Naviera Catalana keeping the name. On 1931 she was bought by Julio Matas Danes being renamed Ampurdan. She had a long life because at least on 1966 she was still active, although since 1948 her owner was Navegación y Pesca, S.A.
Shipyard / Year Fullerton / 1870
Dead Weight 270 MT
Gross Register 217 GRT
Length 42.5 mtr
Breadth 6.1 mtr
Depth 2.9 mtr
Propulsion Alternative compound
Power 215 H.P.
Bought 1904 to
Owner Teodoro H. Maruri
Sold 1918 to
Owner J. Bonet-T. Mallol - La Sabinosa

Maria Mercedes - Collection C. Kleiss
At San Sebastián whe she was yet Maria Mercedes
Maria Mercedes - Collection C. Kleiss



Maria Pilar
Maria Pilar - Collection Vicente Sanahuja
At the Muelle de Fomento, at Gijón
Maria Pilar - Collection Vicente Sanahuja
        She was also bought on 1904 to Theodore H. Maruri when she was named Progreso. She was lost on 1915 in the vicinity of Orio, on a trip from Santander to Pasajes. As the sinking was before 1916 ahe did not received the surname García.
Shipyard / Year W.B. Thompson / 1870
Dead Weight 235 MT
Gross Register 208 GRT
Length 38.9 mtr
Breadth 5.8 mtr
Depth 3.1 mtr
Propulsion Alternative compound
Power 106 H.P.
Bought 1904 to
Owner Teodoro H. Maruri
Sunk 1915



Eduardo Garcia
Maria Gertrudis
Prudencia - Collection P. Blanco Álvarez
At Santander downtown, close to Hotel Bahía. When on 1922 she was incorporated to Vapores Costeros she was renamed Prudencia, name she had on this photo.
Shipyard / Year Cox and Comp. / 1887
Dead Weight 125 MT
Gross Register 102 GRT
Length 26.6 mtr
Breadth 5.2 mtr
Depth 2.3 mtr
Propulsion Alternative compound
Power 116 H.P.
Bought 1904 to
Owner Claudio Fernández
Sold 1922 to
Owner Vapores Costeros
Scrapped 1974

Prudencia - Collection P. Blanco Álvarez



Toñin Garcia
Maria Cruz
Tonin by T. Diedrich
        After several owners and names she was bought by Francisco García on 1904. On 1922 she was transfered to Vapores Costeros, and renamed Toñin.
Shipyard / Year Fullerton / 1870
Dead Weight 150 MT
Gross Register 161/FONT> GRT
Length 31.6 mtr
Breadth 6.2 mtr
Depth 2.5 mtr
Propulsion Alternative compound
Power 140 H.P.
Bought 1904 to
Owner José Pérez Ayuela
Sold 1922 to
Owner Vapores Costeros
Scrapped 1961

Tonin by T. Diedrich
        She was scrapped on 1961 at Avilés. She was towed from Santander to Avilés by the Maria Santiuste. Here they were leaving Puertochico.


Villa de Pesquera
Maria del Carmen
Angeles by T. Diedrich
On 1922 she was joining Vapores Costeros, an renamed Angeles.
Shipyard / Year Cunlitf and Dawson / 1869
Dead Weight 139 MT
Gross Register 130 GRT
Length 26.0 mtr
Breadth 5.5 mtr
Depth 2.5 mtr
Propulsion Alternative compound
Power 112 H.P.
Bought 1904 to
Owner Ramón y Juan Fernández
Sold 1922 to
Owner Vapores Costeros
Scrapped 1965



On 1910 were bought three vessels that changed their names as per next table:
Owner Name Name on 1910 Name on 1916
Minera Cántabro-Asturiana    Palmira    Garcia Nº 1    Sunk on 1913
Minera Cántabro-Asturiana    Asturias    Garcia Nº 2    Paco Garcia
Gregorio Manzárraga    Luis Pinzon    Garcia Nº 3    Juan Garcia


Garcia Nº 1
Palmira - Collection L. Santa Olaya

Shipyard / Year Fullerton / 1869
Dead Weight 240 MT
Gross Register 165 GRT
Length 26.2 mtr
Breadth 5.9 mtr
Depth 2.6 mtr
Propulsion Alternative compound
Power 107 H.P.
Bought 1904 to
Owner Minera Cántabro-Asturiana
Lost 1913

Palmira - Collection L. Santa Olaya
At Gijón as Palmira



On 1914-15 were bought three vessels that received directly the surname García, as per next table:
Owner Name Name after bought
López de Haro    España    Francisco Garcia
Cía. Isleña - Hamilton & Co.    Tenerife    Antonio Garcia
Cía. Isleña - Hamilton & Co.    Chasna    Rita Garcia



Francisco Garcia
Shipyard / Year C. Hill and Sons / 1884
Dead Weight 478 MT
Gross Register 390 GRT
Length 46.5 mtr
Breadth 6.7 mtr
Depth 4.5 mtr
Propulsion Alternative triple expansion
Power 270 H.P.
Bought 1914 to
Owner Luis Vives
Sold 1917 to
Owner Compañía Duranguesa
Scrapped 1923



Antonio Garcia
Malvarrosa - Collection C. Kleiss
        This was the first Antonio Garcia. She was built by Scott and Company at Bownes (United Kingdom) as Nigel. After four Brithish owners she was bought by Compañía de Navegación Tenerife and renamed Tenerife, being sold on 1907 to Compañía Isleña de Vapores Fruteros de Tenerife-Hamilton and Company, keeping the name. On 1915 she was bought by Francisco García and renamed Antonio Garcia. On 1918 she was sold to Antonio Rosell Porta, being renamed as Malvarrosa, name that she has on the photo. On 1926 she was bought by Joaquín Cabo Páez, changing her name to Cabo Paez, that kept until scrapped on 1969, although since 1936 the owners were Cabo Hermanos.
Shipyard / Year Scott and Company / 1886
Dead Weight 300 MT
Gross Register 256 GRT
Length 41.2 mtr
Breadth 6.7 mtr
Depth 3.2 mtr
Propulsion Alternative compound
Power 320 H.P.
Bought 1915 to
Owner Cía. Isleña de Vap. Frut.
Sold 1918 to
Owner Antonio Rosell Porta
Scrapped 1969



Rita Garcia
Carmen by T. Diedrich
        The first Rita Garcia was bought on 1915 also to Compañía Isleña de Vapores Fruteros de Tenerife-Hamilton and Company, where she was Chasna. She wasintegrated on 1922 in Vapores Costeros, being renamed Carmen.
        She grounded on 5/July/1969 close to Tagle (Cantabria - Spain), being a total loss. Her seven crewmembers got ashore by their own.
Shipyard / Year Gibbs and Company / 1904
Dead Weight 225 MT
Gross Register 199 GRT
Length 32.0 mtr
Breadth 6.6 mtr
Depth 3.5 mtr
Propulsion Alternative compound
Power 144 H.P.
Bought 1915 to
Owner Cía. Isleña de Vap. Frut.
Sold 1922 to
Owner Vapores Costeros
Sunk 1969



Toñueca Garcia
        The last ship bought in this stage was a sailing ship, the Toñueca Garcia. She was built on 1899 but is unknown where. On 1924 she was sold to Real Besamela and renamed Covadal.
Shipyard / Year xxxx / 1899
Dead Weight 100 MT
Gross Register 57 GRT
Length 19.1 mtr
Breadth 5.5 mtr
Depth 2.3 mtr
Propulsion Sailing ship
Auxilar machine for maneuvers
Power 25 H.P.
Sold 1918 to
Owner Real Besamela



        When on 1922 Vapores Costeros was created all the steam vessels were integrated in it and only the Toñueca Garcia was kept. On 1926 the tugboat Bizi Gara, built at Bilbao on 1920, was bought and renamed Tritonazo, being sold on 1929. On 1924 began the second stage of the shipping company buying vessels of greater tonnage to be dedicated to great cabotage and trasatlantic navigations.
The next table shows them:
Owner Name Name after bought
Luis Liaño    Pilar    Francisco Garcia
Sociedad Naviera Elcano    Donostia    Magdalena R. de Garcia
Fernando Martínez    Tres Hermanos    Antonio Garcia
Ellaston Steamship    Ellaston    Rita Garcia



Francisco Garcia
Shipyard / Year Whitehaven / 1882
Dead Weight 1,500 MT
Gross Register 985 GRT
Length 67.2 mtr
Breadth 10.1 mtr
Depth 4.8 mtr
Propulsion Alternative triple expansion
Power 508 H.P.
Bought 1924 to
Owner Luis Liaño Trueba
Sold 1931 to
Owner Jesús García Castillo
Sunk 1941



Magdalena R. de Garcia
Shipyard / Year London & Glasgow / 1895
Dead Weight 4,200 MT
Gross Register 2,710 GRT
Length 91.4 mtr
Breadth 12.8 mtr
Depth 5.9 mtr
Propulsion Alternative triple expansion
Power 1,286 H.P.
Bought 1924 to
Owner Sociedad Naviera Elcano
Scrapped 1935



Antonio Garcia
Cogent
        She was bought on 1927 to José Martínez Fernández, who had bought her on 1919 when she was British with the name Cogent, showed on this pisture. Only two years later she had a collision close to Vigo, and sunk with five crewmembers dead.
Shipyard / Year J. Westoll / 1883
Dead Weight 3,100 MT
Length 83.8 mtr
Breadth 11.7 mtr
Depth 6.2 mtr
Propulsion Alternative triple expansion
Power 1,180 H.P.
Bought 1927 to
Owner José Martínez Fernández
Sunk 1929



Rita Garcia
Rita Garcia by T. Diedrich
        The second Rita Garcia was built on 1922 and bought on 1929. She was almost new, only 7 years old when bought. She was the youngest vessel bought by the company, the next one was the first Rita Garcia, 11 years old when bought. The oldest when bought was the Garcia Nº 1: 41 years old.
Rita Garcia por T. Diedrich

Shipyard / Year R. Thompson / 1922
Dead Weight 6,980 MT
Gross Register 3,708 GRT
Length 109.5 mtr
Breadth 15.0 mtr
Depth 8.0 mtr
Propulsion Alternative triple expansion
Power 1,800 H.P.
Bought 1929 to
Owner Ellaston Steamship Co.
Scrapped 1969
        She suffered on 11/February/1936 a severe accident that was close to constructive total loss, although with a lot of work and luck she was saved. As a result she was repairing at Euskalduna (Bilbao) when the Civil War began, being confiscated by the Republican Government and making several trips after the completion of said repair. On 1938 she was recovered by the National Government and returned to her shipowner, remaining in service until being scrapped on 1969 at Cartagena.
Rita Garcia - Collection F. García Echegoyen
        Due to the damages caused by a storm, she grounded on 11/February/1936 near Ancona (Italy) when she was sailing with coal from the United Kingdom to Ravenna (Italy). On this photo she is seen on the morning of that day, shortly after the grounding.
Rita Garcia - Collection F. García Echegoyen
        This photo was shot at 14:15 on the same day. On this and the previous one can be observed the lifeline to evacuate the crew.
Rita Garcia - Collection F. García Echegoyen
        The crew was later transferred to Ancona, after walking up the hill to some cars that were at the road located on the top of the cliff. On the way to them they shot this photo at 17:30 that same day.
Rita Garcia - Collection F. García Echegoyen
        As soon as the storm subsided, work began to refloat the ship. For this it was necessary to lighten the coal to barges while trying to remove her with tugs. On this photo taken on March 4th, the tugboats had to leave due another storm that caused a barge to sink. She was finally refloated on March 14th and after being towed to Trieste to be repaired provisionally returned to Spain to be permanently repaired.
Rita Garcia - Collection C. Kleiss
This nice photo shows her at Tarragona
Rita Garcia - Collection C. Kleiss



  Spanish version 



Back to Naviera Galea  Back to Index  Go to García Miñaur

AM © 2015-2017