Funnel supplied by Aingeru Astui

Flag supplied by Aingeru Astui


Ybarra y Cía






Cabo Santa Maria
Cabo Santa Maria - Naval Historical Center

Shipyard / Year Maryland Steel Co. / 1900
Dead Weight 5,945 MT
GRT 3,754
Length 101.0 mtr
Breadth 14.4 mtr
Depth 7.7 mtr
Propulsion Alternative triple expansion
Power 1,600 H.P.
Bought 1924
Sold 1932
Owner - Name Joaquín Velasco - Mina Piquera
Scrapped 1949



Cabo Tortosa
Motomar - Photo supplied by S. Pérez Calleja

Shipyard / Year Aktiev Gotaverken / 1921
Dead Weight 8,420 MT
GRT 5,724
Passengers 100
Length 119.7 mtr
Breadth 16.4 mtr
Depth 9.2 mtr
Propulsion 2 Diesel engines
Power 1,607 H.P.
Bought 1926
Sold 1932
Owner Compañía Española de Navegación Marítima
Name Motomar
Scrapped 1964

Motomar - Supplied by L. Santa Olaya
Being Motomar she grounded arriving to Avilés, although she was free without damages.
Motomar - Supplied by L. Santa Olaya
The "Hoja del Lunes" of Avilés published on 01/January/1962 the news.
Motomar - Supplied by L. Santa Olaya
An the "Voluntad" of 02/January/1962 reported her refloating.



Cabo Quilates
Cabo Quilates - Photo supplied by F. de Murga Larena

Shipyard / Year Euskalduna / 1927
Dead Weight 7,538 MT
GRT 6,342
Passengers 100
Length 121.0 mtr
Breadth 16.9 mtr
Depth 7.7 mtr
Propulsion Diesel engine
Power 2,800 H.P.
Seized 1939
By - Name U.R.S.S. - Ienisei
Scrapped 1959



Cabo Palos
Cabo Palos - Collection M. Rodríguez Aguilar

Shipyard / Year Euskalduna / 1927
Dead Weight 7,538 MT
GRT 6,342
Passengers 100
Length 121.0 mtr
Breadth 16.9 mtr
Depth 7.7 mtr
Propulsion Diesel engine
Power 2,800 H.P.
Torpedoed 26/June/1937 by
Submarine General Mola



Cabo Quintres
Cabo Quintres - 100 años con la Marina Mercante
        She was built on 1916 by Euskalduna for Compañía Vasco Cantábrica de Navegación as Mouro. On 1929 she was bought by Ybarra and renamed Cabo Quintres.
        On 5/March/1953 she grounded close to Bilbao due to the fog. Although two tugboats arrived soon it was not possible getting her free, and at same time the engine room and holds were flooded. All the crew was taken ashore.
Shipyard / Year Euskalduna / 1916
Dead Weight 4,193 MT
GRT 2,905
Passengers 6
Length 97.2 mtr
Breadth 13.5 mtr
Depth 7.5 mtr
Propulsion Alternative triple expansion
Power 1,500 H.P.
Bought 1929 to
Owner Compañía Vasco Cantábrica de Navegación
Sunk 1953

Cabo Quintres - Collection L. Santa Olaya
ABC - 7/May/1953
Cabo Quintres -Collection L. Santa Olaya
ABC - 9/May/1953



Cabo San Antonio
Cabo San Antonio - Collection M. Rodríguez Aguilar

Shipyard / Year S.E.C.N. / Sestao / 1930
Dead Weight 10,100 MT
Gross Register 12,275 GRT
Passengers 287
Length 147.1 mtr
Breadth 19.3 mtr
Depth 11.3 mtr
Propulsion 2 Diesel engines
Power 7,200 H.P.
Sunk 1939

Cabo San Antonio - Supplied by M. Budiño
Nice view of deck and accomodation



Cabo Santo Tome
Cabo Santo Tome - Collection T. Diedrich

Cabo Santo Tome - Supplied by M. Budiño
Yet on the building slip bedecked with flags, ready to be launched.
Cabo Santo Tome - Supplied by M. Budiño
And showing a nice view of the poop.

Cabo Santo Tome - Collection F. García Echegoyen

Cabo Santo Tome - Collection F. García Echegoyen

Cabo Santo Tome - Collection F. García Echegoyen
        On 10/October/1937, when bound to Spain from Russia with war supplies, she was attacked close to Bona (Algerie) by the gunboats Dato and Canovas del Castillo. As she was armed with cannons tried to defend herself, but she was hit and put on fire. After the crew abandoned her, part of the ammunition load exploded and the vessel was sunk.


Ybarra catalogue - Collection A. Paniagua
Impressing cover, showing Cabo Santo Tome, of the 1932 catalogue for the line Mediterráneo-Brasil-Plata.



Cabo Silleiro
Cabo Silleiro by T. Diedrich
        She was built on 1915 by Euskalduna at Bilbao for Compañía Marítima del Nervión as Mar Mediterraneo. On 1928 she was sold to Trasmediterránea and renamed Río Miño. She was bought by Ybarra on 1935 and, after several incidents during the Civil War, she continued trading until being scrapped on 1964.
Shipyard / Year Euskalduna / 1915
Dead Weight 4,132 MT
GRT 2,896
Passengers 55
Length 93.3 mtr
Breadth 13.5 mtr
Depth 6.7 mtr
Propulsion Alternative triple expansion
Power 1,500 H.P.
Bought 1935
Owner Trasmediterránea
Scrapped 1964

Cabo Silleiro - Colección de C. Kleiss



Cabo Prior
Cabo Prior - Collection G. Robinson
Built by Compañía Euskalduna in Bilbao in 1917 as Mar Tirreno, was 3.367 GRT.
In 1929 was bought by Trasmediterránea and renamed Rio Tajo and in 1935 was bought by Ybarra y Compañía and renamed Cabo Prior.

Por T. Diedrich

Shipyard / Year Euskalduna / 1917
Dead Weight 4,682 MT
GRT 3,367
Passengers 8
Length 100.1 mtr
Breadth 13.4 mtr
Depth 9.0 mtr
Propulsion Alternative triple expansion
Power 1,900 H.P.
Bought 1935
Owner Trasmediterránea
Scrapped 1963



Cabo San Sebastian
Cabo San Sebastian by T. Diedrich

Shipyard / Year Echevarrieta y Larrinaga / 1921
Dead Weight 3,720 MT
GRT 2,660
Length 90.4 mtr
Breadth 13.4 mtr
Depth 5.9 mtr
Propulsion Alternative triple expansion
Power 1,530 H.P.
Bought 1935
Owner Trasmediterránea
Scrapped 1964

Cabo San Sebastian - Supplied by K. Rivas
At Villagarcía de Arosa



Cabo de Hornos
Cabo de Hornos - Photo supplied by Pedro Caminha
She had a sister ship, the Cabo de Buena Esperanza. Both bought for the line Europe-Brasil-Argentina.
Dead Weight 11,312 MT
Length 163.1 mtr
Breadth 22.6 mtr
Depth 8.4 mtr
Propulsion Steam turbines
Power 13,200 H.P.

Cabo de Hornos - Collection of C. McHale

Cabo de Hornos - Suministrada por L. Santa Olaya
Entrando en Avilés en 1959, camino de su desguace
Cabo de Hornos - Suministrada por L. Santa Olaya
Y ya en el muelle
Cabo de Hornos - Suministrada por L. Santa Olaya



Cabo de Buena Esperanza
Cabo de Buena Esperanza - Collection T. Diedrich
She was bought at same time as her sister for the same line.
Their speed was 17 knots and had capacity for 780 passengers, in three classes.
Cabo de Buena Esperanza - Photo supplied by D. Hilberick

Cabo de Buena Esperanza - Supplied by X. Tomás Martínez
Leaving Barcelona, with Montjuich in the background



Juan de Garay
Juan de Garay - Collection M. Rodríguez Aguilar
        Previously Olimpia. She was bought on 1947 by Compañía Transoceánica Argentina (wholly owned by Ybarra) and renamed Juan de Garay under the Argentinian flag.
        After two years she was laid up at Rosario (Argentina), making sporadic trips but going back to Rosario.
        On 1961 she was sold to Compañía Panameña de Navegación (also wholly owned by Ybarra), reflagged to Panamá and sailed to Spain. She was scrapped on 1963 at Castellón.


Cabo del Agua
Castillo Manzanares por T. Diedrich

Shipyard / Year J.L. Thompson / 1912
Dead Weight 9,080 MT
GRT 4,745
Passengers 56
Length 112.9 mtr
Breadth 16.5 mtr
Depth 7.9 mtr
Propulsion Alternative triple expansion
Power 2,100 H.P.
Chartered 1944 from
Owner Elcano
Returned 1957
Scrapped 1964


Cabo del Agua - Colección de C. Kleiss
        This impressing photo shows her eith the original look at Antofagasta, where I suppose she would load nitrate. Comparing with the previous, when was already modified, can be seen the big transformation, specially in the accomodation and funnel, that gave her a more modern look.
Cabo del Agua - Colección de C. Kleiss



Cabo Peñas
Cabo Peñas por T. Diedrich

Shipyard / Year Echevarrieta y Larrinaga / 1949
Dead Weight 2,892 MT
GRT 2,544
Length 89.6 mtr
Breadth 13.2 mtr
Depth 7.6 mtr
Propulsion Alternative quadruple expansion
Maker Christiansen & Meyer
Power 1,800 H.P.
Boilers La Mont -- 16 kg/cm2 - 350ºC
Bought 1959
Owner Elcano
Hispano Cubana de Navegación
Scrapped 1970

Cabo Penas - Collection C. Kleiss
Here she was at Pasajes. On the right was the Mina Meruxal owned by Naviera del Nalón

Cabo Penas - Collection C. Kleiss
        At Barcelona. In the foreground, only half ship seen, was the Satrustegui o Virginia de Churruca, followed by the Cabo Peñas, behind was the Ciudad de Alcira, in front was the Italian vessel Victoria or , in the background was the Cabo Santa Marta and maneuvering was the Camposilo.


Cabo del Pinar
Cabo del Pinar by T. Diedrich

Shipyard / Year Echevarrieta y Larrinaga / 1948
Dead Weight 2,892 MT
GRT 2,542
Length 89.6 mtr
Breadth 13.2 mtr
Depth 7.6 mtr
Propulsion Alternative quadruple expansion
Maker Christiansen & Meyer
Power 1,800 H.P.
Boilers La Mont -- 16 kg/cm2 - 350ºC
Bought 1959
Owner Elcano
Hispano Cubana de Navegación
Scrapped 1970

Cabo del Pinar - Collection J.L. Herrería

Cabo del Pinar - Collection J.L. Herrería
At Santoña on 19/March/1965



  Spanish version 



Back to Ybarra (1)  Back to Index  Go to Ybarra (3)

AM © 2002-2017